Isiewu translated as “goat head” is undoubtedly one of the most popular delicacies that originates from the Eastern Nigeria. Isiewu is an Eastern Nigerian classic for a reason. It is difficult to visit a local pub or joint and not find the food on the menu; also, no Igbo celebration is complete without mounds of this tasty, delicately spiced traditional Igbo dish that is made with a goat’s head.
If you are visiting the eastern part of the country and looking to have a taste of this palatable, you may want to lodge at hotels such The Gate Luxury Apartment, Enugu;Finotel Classy Hotel, Awka; Luxury City Royale, Aba, whose chefs are skilled in preparing the delicacy. If you,however, are not ready to take an adventure to the east, but you want to have a taste anyway, Jumia Travel has the perfect recipe on how to prepare an authentic and mouth-watering Isi ewu right at home.
You will need:
- 1 Goat Head
- 15 cl (150ml) Red Palm Oil
- 2 teaspoons ground Ehu seeds (Calabash Nutmeg)
- 1 tablespoon powdered edible potash (Akanwu)
- 2 big beef flavored stock cubes
- 2 medium onions (1 to cook,1 to garnish)
- About 10 Utazi leaves
- 2 habanero peppers
- Salt (to taste)
- Cut the goat head into pieces, excluding the essential parts including ears, tongue etc which you should cut out whole.
- Season properly and cook till the meat is soft and you are left with a very little but rich stock.
- Grind potash into powder and pour in a bowl. Add a small quantity of water (preferably the goat meat broth) and stir well. Pass it through a fine sieve and set the liquid aside.
- Pour the palm oil into a pot and add the potash mixture into the oil.
- Add the onions, pepper, ehu seeds, utazi that has been cut to tiny pieces and seasoning cube and stir very well till they are all mixed properly.
- Add the goat head to the palm oil paste and stir very well with a wooden spatula and heat on a cooker until the Isi Ewu is piping hot.
- Serve the Isi Ewu in a wooden mortar and garnish with slices of Utazi and onion rings.
NNN.COM.NG is a portal where you can read latest Nigeria News from all Nigeria Newspapers such as such as Punch, Vangaurd, Daily Times, Thisday, Guardian, Nation, Leadership and more in one place. NNN aggregates Naija News and sort them according to their sources, category and relevance as a way of reducing the effort a news reader needs to put in to reading breaking news in Nigeria and across the world.