The Senate President, Bukola Saraki, in what appears to be an attempt to reconcile with some aggrieved senators on Thursday reshuffled the Senate Standing Committees.
Saraki appointed Senator Kabiru Marafa as the Chairman of the Senate Committee on Oil (Downstream Petroleum) while the wife of the national leader of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Senator Oluremi Tinubu is to chair the Senate Committee on the Environment.
Saraki also appointed Senator Suleiman Hunkuyi as the Chairman, Senate Committee on National Identity.
The move is apparently considered a last minute move to restore peace in the Senate which has been undated by series of crisis since the emergence of Saraki as the president of the Senate.
Saraki announced the reshuffle toward the end of plenary on Thursday.
The Senate Committee on Procurement is now headed by Senator Joshua Dariye, with Senator Daura Tijani heading the Committee on Federal Character.
Babajide Omoworare was moved from Rules and Business to Legislative Compliance while Senator Binta Masi-Garaba was moved from Tertiary Education to Women Affairs.
The reshuffle also saw Senator Enyinnaya Abaribe taking care of the Senate Committee on Power, while Senator Adamu Aliero takes over the Aviation committee.
The following are the changes in Committee Chairmanships;
- Senator Hope Uzodinma, Chairman, Senate Committee on Customs
- Senator Adamu Aliero, Chairman Senate Committee on Aviation
- Senator Oluremi Tinubu, Chairman, Senate Committee on Environment
- Senator Kabiru Marafa, Chairman, Senate Committee on Downstream Petroleum
- Senator Jibrin Barau, Chairman, Senate Committee on Tertiary Institutions and TETFUND
- Senator Binta Marsi Garba, Chairman, Senate Committee on Women Affairs
- Senator Joshua Dariye, Chairman, Senate Committee on Public Procurement
- Senator James Manager, Chairman, Senate Committee on Solid Minerals
- Senator Enyinnaya Abaribe, Chairman, Senate Committee on Power
- Senator Hunkuyi Suleiman, Chairman, Senate Committee on National Identity
- Senator Suleiman Adokwe, Chairman, Senate Committee on National Orientation and Information
- Senator Jide Omoworare, Chairman, Senate Committee on Legislative Compliance
- Senator Baba Kaka Garbai, Chairman, Senate Committee on Rules and Business
- Senator Tijani Kaura, Chairman, Senate Committee on Federal Character
- Senator Ahmed Ogembe, Vice-Chairman, Senate Committee on Marine Transport
- Senator Omo Agege, Vice-Chairman, Senate Committee on Land Transport
- Senator Philip Aduda, Vice-Chairman, Senate Committee on Downstream Petroleum
NNN.COM.NG is a portal where you can read latest Nigeria News from all Nigeria Newspapers such as such as Punch, Vangaurd, Daily Times, Thisday, Guardian, Nation, Leadership and more in one place. NNN aggregates Naija News and sort them according to their sources, category and relevance as a way of reducing the effort a news reader needs to put in to reading breaking news in Nigeria and across the world.