Connect with us

BREAKING NEWS

NERC slams Abuja Disco with N18m fine over electrocution of eight-year old girl

Published

on

NERC slams Abuja Disco with N18m fine over electrocution of eight-year old girl

The Nigeria Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC) has imposed an N18m fine on Abuja Electricity Distribution Company (AEDC) following electrocution of an eight-year old Faith Yakubu at Anguwan Dodo, Gwagwalada, FCT, which is within the company’s distribution franchise area.

NERC slams Abuja Disco with N18m fine over electrocution of eight-year old girl

In a statement made available to newsmen in Abuja yesterday, the NERC said it has through its resolution, upheld the recommendations of its Panel Report of Accident Investigation which found the distribution company liable of negligence.

According to the resolution on the accident, “AEDC shall pay Eighteen Million Naira (N18, 000, 000. 00) as compensation to the family of Faith Yakubu and communicate same to the Commission accordingly, besides, AEDC should ensure that the surviving four month old child undergoes medical check-up in a recognised hospital and evidence presented to the Commission for further directives.”

AEDC was further directed to carry out regular safety enlightenment campaign in accordance with the Nigeria Electricity Safety Manual and Nigeria Electricity Safety Code.

The distribution company was also expected to adequately train its staff on market regulations as well as ensure that its Marketing Units are provided with competent technical staff with the sole responsibility of carrying out the function of connection and disconnection of customers when all conditions for disconnections in line with NERC’s regulations have been met.

Recall that little miss faith met her dearth Meanwhile when a staff of AEDC disconnected the wire feeding the Yakubus’ residence over allegation of accumulated bills and left the wire lying on the ground even as he failed to disconnect supply from the transformer. The deceased, in her innocence had grabbed the wire in an attempt to cross over the naked wire when she got electrocuted. The baby on her back survived the accident.

thisday nigeria news

NEWSVERGE, published by The Verge Communications is an online community of international news portal and social advocates dedicated to bringing you commentaries, features, news reports from a Nigerian-African perspective. The Verge Communications (NEWSVERGE) is fully registered with the Corporate Affairs Commission of the Federal Republic of Nigeria as a corporate organization.

Comments
JoinOurWhatsAppChannel

Website Designed By DEBORIAN.COM, a Nigerian Web Designer and Web Developer -