Supposed wounded leader of Boko Haram, Abubakar Shekau, on Sunday, resurfaced in a video posted online, rejecting claims by the Nigerian Army that he had been seriously wounded.
The video posted on YouTube showed Shekau, flanked by two gun-wielding Boko Haram members, speaking on the group’s activities.
In the video, Shekau spoke extensively in Arabic and also Hausa, Kanuri, and English.
Shekau said in the 40-minute video mocking the military, said: “You have been spreading in the social media that you injured or killed me. Oh tyrants, I’m in a happy state, in good health and in safety.”
Reacting, the Nigerian Army dismissed Shekau’s threat, saying that the video has shown beyond all reasonable doubt the earlier suspicion that the purported factional terrorists’ group leader is mentally sick and unstable.
The Army urged Nigerians, especially residents of Maiduguri, Kano, Kaduna and Zaria, not to panic over a video posted by Shekau.
Army spokesman, Col. Sani Usman, while reacting to the video in a statement on Sunday in Abuja, said the army had more than what “it takes to defend them and deal decisively with the remnants of the terrorists”.
Usman recalled that Shekau, “in his usual act of boasting, made all sorts of claims to the point of threatening various towns, groups and individuals.”
The army spokesman said: “We would like to reiterate that Boko Haram terrorism as it was known, is gone for good.
“We are just counting down to the day when all the few remnants will be totally wiped out or brought to justice.
“However, a window still exists for the repentant ones among them to lay down their arms and surrender to justice”.
Usman noted that the purported factional leader of the terrorist also tried albeit failingly, to deny the air raid by the Nigerian Air Force in which he was wounded.
“The video has shown beyond all reasonable doubt the earlier suspicion that the purported factional terrorists’ group leader is mentally sick and unstable.
“The ranting is also another sign that the end is near for him which is part of the signs of all wicked people.
“The Nigerian Army wishes to assure the public that nobody should be bothered with the contents of the video clip.
“This is because the available fact on the development speaks for itself.
“The military has been making concerted efforts to clear the remnants of the terrorists and rescue all persons held hostage by them, especially the abducted Chibok Secondary School girls,” Usman said.
He vowed that the task would be accomplished, no matter how long it would take, adding that the military was determined in that regard.
“Already, thousands of people have been rescued by our troops from the den of the terrorists.
“He has derailed and no longer believes and practises the Islam he professes to follow; as he was absent at the last Eid prayers video.
“It is equally reported that he could not even lead prayers. The public should not be fooled by this individual.
“No nation or society would believe him or any Boko Haram terrorist, based on his antecedents, having shown to be unreliable, especially when it comes to negotiations on the release of the abducted girls.
“Therefore, he must release them unconditionally,” the army spokesman said.