Connect with us

SPORTS

Conte thanks departing Costa for Chelsea success

Published

on

Conte thanks departing Costa for Chelsea success

Chelsea manager Antonio Conte thanked Diego Costa on Friday for his contribution at Stamford Bridge, after the club agreed a move for the striker with Atletico Madrid.

Conte had told the 28-year-old via text message earlier this year that he was no longer needed at the club.

Costa had scored 52 Premier League goals to help Chelsea lift two titles in three years.

A Chelsea statement on Thursday had said they had agreed terms with the La Liga side for the transfer of Costa.

Spanish newspaper El Mundo had said the fee would be 55 million euros (£48.66 million).

When asked whether his relationship deteriorated with the Spanish striker over the last few months, Conte chose to focus on the future of the club.

He looked ahead to their English Premier League trip to Stoke City on Saturday.

“We want to thank him (Costa) for what he did with this club. We wish him all the best for the future,” the Italian told reporters.

“The past is not important. If you did well in the past it’s okay, but we have to work for the present and above all for the future.

“I don’t forget that we won together last season. I repeat for sure we want to thank him for his effort last season, not only last season but the period he played for Chelsea.”

Conte believes Chelsea face one of their toughest challenges of the campaign at the bet365 stadium.

This was after Mark Hughes’s side picked up four points from two games against Arsenal and Manchester United.

“For sure it will be a really tough game. They have beaten Arsenal and drawn against United, it means they are a very good team,” he said.

“We must pay great attention tomorrow (Saturday). This is the first of three tough games in seven games. A good test and challenge for us.”

Chelsea have a busy schedule next week, starting with Wednesday’s trip to Atletico in the Champions League before hosting league leaders Manchester City three days later.

“This season it will be a big challenge for us, to face each competition with our squad and play every three days,” Conte added.

“This type of situation will be very important for us to face in the right way. It won’t be easy to have these games very close.”

Nan

NEWSVERGE, published by The Verge Communications is an online community of international news portal and social advocates dedicated to bringing you commentaries, features, news reports from a Nigerian-African perspective. A unique organization, founded in the spirit of Article 19 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, comprising of ordinary people with an overriding commitment to seeking the truth and publishing it without fear or favour. The Verge Communications is fully registered with the Corporate Affairs Commission of the Federal Republic of Nigeria as a corporate organization.

Comments
JoinOurWhatsAppChannel

Website Designed By DEBORIAN.COM, a Nigerian Web Designer and Web Developer -