The Ijebu/Remo Forum within the All Progressive Congress, APC, consisting of leaders and elder statesmen from the entire area making up Ijebu/Remo of Ogun State, which has championed the right of Ijebu/Remo people to produce the next governor of Ogun State, met in Sagamu today the 9th day of October, 2018, to review the recent gubernatorial primary of the party in Ogun State and came to the following conclusions:-
1. We were concerned that the conduct of the primary went through a very difficult time and that party faithfuls were subjected to a considerable amount of waiting lasting several days to be able to cast their ballot.
2. That an effort was made to hijack the process in the name of the party in Ogun State to foist a particular candidate from Ogun West on the APC by conducting an unauthorized primary election which it had no power under the party constitution to do and which, regrettably, nearly resulted into a descent to anarchy.
3. We observe that it took a very determined NWC appointed Committee to be able to carry out its mandate and to conduct the gubernatorial primary even in the face of serious security threat and intimidation.
4. We observe further that the security situation in a state which had, hitherto, enjoyed relative peace under the present administration, became extremely tense as some people attempted to unleash mayhem on the people of Ogun State generally and to harass party faithfuls to be able to impose their agenda.
5. This Forum has always believed that from the perspective of history, precedent, social contract, fairness and justice it was the turn of the Ijebu/Remo axis of the state to produce the next governor in support of which we had repeatedly appealed to all concerned that the effort to change the time hallowed process was ill-advised and was bound to fail or could cost the APC the gubernatorial election.
6. This Forum worked hard for the emergence of a consensus candidate from Ijebu and Remo and even though this was met with limited success, this did not remove the compass the Forum had established for this cause and the leadership it provided to our people to be able to actualize the cause.
7. We are pleased to note that in the end, Prince Adedapo Abiodun, MFR, an experienced political activist from Ogun East emerged as the winner of the authentic primary and therefore becomes the flag bearer of the APC in the Ogun State gubernatorial election in 2019.
8. We observe that a good number of his opponents from Ogun East, have congratulated Prince Adedapo Abiodun and pledged their support to him. This is as it should be and we trust that all the former contestants will join hands to support the candidate.
9. We the leaders of Ijebu/Remo Forum are delighted by the triumph of an idea we have championed at all levels for nearly two years that it was the turn of Ijebu and Remo to produce the next governor of Ogun State which cause has now been vindicated.
10. We wish to thank all aspirants for this exalted position from Ogun East for their cooperation and, wish them well in their future pursuits. In particular, we must commend Otunba Bimbo Ashiru whom the Forum had hitherto endorsed in an open and credible process, for running a balanced and descent campaign. He was not only credible and competent but he showed his solid pedigree. We have no doubt that though he may have lost this primary, he will surely have his day. We also wish him the very best in his future endeavours.
11. The Forum wishes to place on record our gratitude to Comrade Adams Oshiomole, CON, the indefatigable National Chairman of the APC, for standing firm on this matter and showing an uncommon courage without which the result would have been different.
12. We also thank President, Alhaji Muhammadu Buhari, GCFR and the Vice President, Professor Yemi Osinbajo SAN, GCON for both, characteristically, standing firm in support of due process and discipline.
13. We thank the members of the NWC Electoral panel to Ogun State led by Hon. Muhammad Indabawa (Chairman) and Senator Gbenga Aluko ( Secretary ), Ali Magashi, Hon. Mathew Omeagara, Kabir Ahmed, Osita Okechukwu, Echeza Oshogwe and Alhaji Abdul Azeez Anuhi for their forthrightness and admirable courage and integrity in the face of serious intimidation and coercion. Of them it may some day be said that by their sterling performance they saved Ogun State for APC.
14. We wish to thank all the other aspirants from the other parts of the state for the interest they showed in the pursuit of democracy. It is our view that in the current exercise, there has been no victor and no vanquished. We appeal to everyone to be sportsmen and to be gallant in the present situation. Our experience has taught us that everyone will have his day.
15. We say to our compatriots from Ogun West, in particular, that despite the intensity of this contest, the Ijebu and Remo people are no enemies of the Yewa and Awori people. Ijebu and Remo people are a people with a deep sense of history, justice and fairness. We seek it for ourselves and seek it for other people. Indeed, from the history of Ogun State to date, we know we are friends and allies. We have, mutually, supported each other before and we believe God that we will do so again in future. On this occasion, we appeal for your restraint and gallantry. Please be assured that the government to be led by Prince Dapo Abiodun will serve your interest and that of all of Ogun State without any discrimination.
16. To our leader, the indefatigable Governor, Senator Ibikunle Amosun, FCA, CON, we salute you. We affirm that in the past eight years, you have worked hard for the progress of this state and believe history will be kind to you and accord you credit as a builder of note. While we may have disagreed on this issue, this does not reduce or diminish our respect for your person. We wish to say that the next few months, in which you will write the last chapter of your governorship, will be crucial and challenge your leadership as you prepare for your succession. Permit us to remind you, Your Excellency, that there is no success without succession. We trust that in your characteristic no holds barred style, you will leave no stone unturned in ensuring that the party candidate, Prince Adedapo Abiodun, MFR, and our party, the All Progressive Congress, are successful at the polls.
17. To all our Obas and Traditional Rulers, all our compatriots and party faithfuls, particularly, the wise people of Ogun Central, we are happy to present our illustrious son, Prince Adedapo Abiodun, MFR, with a plea for you to join hands to make him your next governor. He is a man of courage, a consummate politician with a heart for the people. He is a general of many political wars. He is a successful businessman and administrator, articulate, urbane, a brilliant citizen of the world who will take Ogun to the next level. He is a consensus builder who will not walk alone. It lies in your hands to embrace him. He will not let you down.
Gbogbo akile Ijebu ati Remo, Ijo konyin o. You said you wanted this exalted position and now is within your reach. You have to go all out and vote massively. It is your turn to make Ogun State proud again in the tradition set by Baba Obafemi Awolowo, Baba Olabisi Onabanjo and the greats of Yoruba politics from Ijebu land.
GOD BLESS YOU ALL.
OMO OGUN ISE YA!
AARE T. OLU DAWODU, FPSN-CHAIRMAN
PRINCE SEGUN ADERIBIGBE -SECRETARY
CHIEF BISI RODIPE, FNIM
CHIEF O. B. OKUBOYEJO
ALHAJI RAFIU SONGONUGA
PRINCE ADEYEMI ADEFULU, MFR, FCIS
BASHORUN ADEBISI ADESANYA, F-IOD