The Kaduna State Muslim Pilgrims Welfare Board, on Monday, said no fewer than 2,710 pilgrims had so far been airlifted to Saudi Arabia from the state for the Hajj.
The board’s Public Relations Officer, Malam Yunusa Abdullahi, made the disclosure in a statement issued in Kaduna.
Abdullahi said that the fifth batch, consisting of 348 males and 181 females, departed Kaduna International Airport for Saudi Arabia on Monday morning.
He stated that the aircraft was initially scheduled to airlift the pilgrims on Sunday, but had a 24-hour delay.
Our correspondent reports that as a result of the delay, the Director-General, Bureau of Interfaith, Sheikh Jamilu Albani, on Sunday asked the intending pilgrims to go back home in order not to keep them perpetually at the Hajj camp.
The Overseer of the Board, Imam Hussaini Ikara noted that the delay was nothing strange in hajj operations.
He appealed to the remaining intending pilgrims to be patient with the board, assuring that they would all be airlifted to the Holy Land.
It was reported that a total of 3,561 people are expected to perform this year’s hajj from the state.