Jose Mourinho’s tumultuous second spell as Chelsea manager has been ended “by mutual consent” after a disastrous start to the season, the Premier League champions announced on Thursday.
“Chelsea Football Club and Jose Mourinho have today parted company by mutual consent,” the club said in a statement on their website, confirming earlier media reports.
“All at Chelsea thank Jose for his immense contribution since he returned as manager in the summer of 2013.”
Chelsea said that Mourinho, 52, had left “on good terms” and that both parties felt it was in the club’s “best interests” for him to depart.
The outspoken Portuguese led Chelsea to a Premier League and League Cup double last season, but they are currently one point above the relegation zone after nine defeats in 16 games.
He is reported to have been informed of his fate in a meeting with club officials on Thursday afternoon, following two days of talks at boardroom level.
Mourinho was previously sacked by Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich in 2007, after a richly successful three-year spell in which he won two Premier League titles, two League Cups and the FA Cup.
“His three league titles, FA Cup, Community Shield and three League Cup wins over two spells make him the most successful manager in our 110-year history,” Chelsea said.
“But both Jose and the board agreed results have not been good enough this season and believe it is in the best interests of both parties to go our separate ways.
“The club wishes to make clear Jose leaves us on good terms and will always remain a much-loved, respected and significant figure at Chelsea.
“His legacy at Stamford Bridge and in England has long been guaranteed and he will always be warmly welcomed back to Stamford Bridge.”
Juande Ramos, the former Tottenham Hotspur and Sevilla manager, and Guus Hiddink have been cited as potential short-term replacements, Dutchman Hiddink having previously fulfilled the role in 2009.